Jump to main column content

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Keeping busy


Perhaps you'd like to know what were up to? You read the blog don't you. Let's see. Yesterday, the cable company came out and hooked up high speed internet for us. I think I'm the last person in the family to do that. Most people assume I have it because I do tech work at the university. Today they would actually be correct.

Ellie and I made hot chocolate tonight. We made it recently this week and it was pretty fun, so I suggested doing it again. I probably should have skipped it. Ellie is entertained by any activity exactly one time. She did pretty well, but I think we should wait a while.

I try to get her involved in cooking when I can. Sometimes it is fun stuff, like tapioca pudding. Sometimes I have her help make dinner, or just set the table. She generally likes to be involved, and I figure when she turns 7 or so I can turn the cooking over to her. Okay, so that's a joke. I just like her to be part of things.

We played checkers tonight. It's one of the better games for us because there are so few rules. She won, partly because I helped and partly because of a lucky break. She'd have never actually reasoned out the endgame, so I coached her to her victory. Left entirely to her own devices I think I could have creamed her 6 kings with the lone king I was pushing around at the end.

I put a new light switch in the bathroom. Linda has noted that Ellie often leaves the light on in the bathroom, especially in the early evening when Linda is in bed or getting ready for bed. So I replaced the switch with one that is compatible with our remote controls. Now we can turn the light off from either remote or computer (as well as at the switch itself). It means Linda doesn't have to get out of bed to turn off the light. As a bonus, the light can be dimmed by remote, although I'm not sure why we would do that. There's no need to create a romantic mood in the bathroom really.