Jump to main column content

Monday, December 05, 2005

What computer geeks do for fun


We have 7 lights in our house that can be controlled by remote control. We have two remotes, and one plug-in controller, but yesterday Linda mentioned that sometimes she would like to be able to change the lights when she's at the computer.

Well, that's just the kind of puzzle computer geeks like to solve. I am so delighted with my solution, that I've been telling all of my computer friends about it. Naturally I wrote a program that can control the lights from the computer (via a 4th control that I hadn't yet mentioned).

I designed it to work just like the physical remotes that we have. I'm so pleased with how it looks and how easy it is, that I'm posting a picture of the program. Nothing tells the story like a screen shot:

X10 controller

Naturally I've already thought of ways to use what I learned at work. That happens with fun a lot.