Jump to main column content

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Little achievements


Ellie announced today that she can tie her shoes. Just to prove it, she showed me. The result is pretty rough, but she can indeed do it. I asked her, Who taught you how to do that? She said that I did. It's probably true, she and I have been talking about it lately. I was so slow to learn to tie shoes that I still remember how I was taught. Ellie seems to be a lot quicker on the uptake than I was.

I know there are little things happening lately that I should have posted, but they've left my mind. I've finished the last Harry Potter book for a second time. I have a few different impressions than the first time around, but I still think it is probably my favorite.

We're still slugging it out at therapy. I'm reminded sometimes of the movie Contact where the main character, Ellie Arroway, is frustrated by slow success. Her father tells her, Small moves, Ellie, small moves. Things take time. A long time, and the improvements are subtle. If you've not seen the movie, learning that my daughter was named after the main character might make you inclined to check it out.