Jump to main column content

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Running around


I've been running around a lot for my car. When I was getting estimates this week, one of the repair guys said that paperwork was likely to hold things up more than the shop. That's turning out to be the case for me. The other guy's insurance company hasn't been able to get a hold of him to take the claim, but his parents hinted that he was going to say it wasn't his fault.

Well it was his fault, and there should be enough evidence in the police report to convince the insurance companies. Unfortunately all of this delays everything. I'm going to go ahead and fix the car on my own insurance and let the two insurance companies haggle over the claim. My claim rep told me that it can take a long time to resolve, but I'm sort of used to that kind of thing now. Linda has had her wheelchair over a year and that is still being worked on.

Momentary panic


Yesterday, one of the ITS workers showed me a piece of free software for doing speech analysis; i.e. pitch and intensity and so on. I had a few moments of panic, thinking I've been working all summer to duplicate an existing program. Luckily that turns out not to be the case. Their application has a completely different focus than mine and works differently. Now that I don't have to worry about that, the discovery is actually a plus. Since their work is free software, it could become a resource for me, a place to look for ideas to borrow.

Boring parents


Ellie wants to play with a kid today. She was quite specific about it, so I'm arranging something. These grownup people are just so boring.