Jump to main column content

Sunday, May 08, 2005

I made it rain


Yes, I did it. You may thank me. I noticed that the new trees we've put in this spring were looking haggard. They needed a drink. I had checked the weather forecast and the National Weather Service assured me that we weren't going to get any substantial water for a while.

So Ellie and I went out with the hose and the bucket, and we watered every new tree in the yard. Two buckets of water per tree, and three for the couple of trees that looked like they could really use it. It was inevitable after that that it would rain. In fact, the first drops came 15 minutes after we went inside.

I don't mind, even if it turned out somewhat redundant. It was a good activity to do with Ellie since it effectively involved running all over the yard. Running is about her favorite activity. We did stop from time to time to pretend that the propane tank was a horse and to scale the climing rope on her swingset. Linda sat on the porch reading a book and enjoying the weather.

And I'm glad for the rain. It'll be good for the yard (especially the new grass out back), and it means I don't have to feel guilty about not mowing the grass this afternoon.

Things that really suck


Speaking of activities outside, we've been going out some in the evening to play with the swingset. I try to get Ellie to play on her own some, so I can sit and rock and talk to Linda. The whole playing with Ellie thing was so much Linda's thing. They used to go to the park a lot. Not any more I guess.

We were sitting and rocking the other day, Ellie was begging for attention, and Linda just said, This really sucks.

Every day doesn't suck, but there are moments that do. There were moments that did before of course, so nothing is that different I suppose.