Jump to main column content

Friday, June 04, 2004

Reunited with Ellie



Ellie came home this afternoon about 4:30. Linda and I were in therapy when she arrived, but she didn't have long to wait. She was pretty glad to see us, and her kitties, and her "pig movie" (Charlotte's Web). She stood in the yard grinning and waved happily at Linda as I backed the car in.

Ellie was delighted that the kitties have come down from the attic of the house. They just came down today actually, so that was good luck for her. She promptly remarked, "My little kitties are BIGGER." She obviously knows bigger and smaller as well as faster and slower since she demonstrated both concepts for us today.

She also has some of her first adverbs apparently. She got a bug bite in her shorts this evening when we were at the square. So that I didn't misunderstand how unpleasant that was, she informed me that, "It REALLY hurts." I don't know how much it REALLY hurt, but apparently enough to require a Blue's Clues band-aid.

Anyone who has seen Ellie knows that she has grown a lot the last 4 months. But she was refreshingly the same this evening. She played the same games, including her all time favorite: pretending to sleep. Or maybe she just got out the old games because she was glad we were back. We teased some. At one point I said, "Tell Mom to go back to the hospital," and Ellie put on a very stern face and told Linda precisely that (Linda said no way).

Obviously she like us home, though. Because tonight, as I was putting her to bed, Ellie said, "You don't go back to the hospital tonight." I told her that if she went to bed, Linda and I would stay home. She was cool with that.