Jump to main column content

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

T minus 2 days



We can really feel the end approaching. Lots of people are coming up to us and congratulating us on finally getting to go home. We are taking pictures with the people we spent the most time with. And we are starting to count 'lasts,' as in, "This is the last time you'll ...."

Fred was out today, so we had Bonnie for PT. It's always interesting to work with a new therapist because they look at things from a slightly different perspective. At first this was really confusing for Linda (who didn't know which suggestions were 'right'). Now, however, it is nice to get new ideas. This morning they did stretching and this afternoon they walked on the carpet. Linda is still practicing to walk out on Friday morning.

In OT, Linda did a block puzzle something like a tangram but a bit simpler. She had to use her left hand only, but it was pretty easy anyway. That was nice to see. This same puzzle once reduced her to tears during a weekend therapy session, so you can see we've made a lot of progress. She also did more dowel work to strengthen her arms. Lyndsay encouraged us to continue the dowel work at home since it doesn't really require much equipment and it has been so helpful.

They brought a wheelchair to try with Linda, but it was too tall. The equipment company didn't have one that was short enough for Linda, but they tried one of the chairs they had in stock and adjusted it to its shortest setting. It was still way too tall, so they are going to order a different one overnight, and we should be able to get it tomorrow or Friday morning (before we go) at the latest.

Wish list



Lots of people are asking what we need. I feel kind of like a new parent--I don't really know. Unfortunately I don't have a whole host of friends who have gone before and can anticipate our needs. I'm pretty sure we aren't going to be in desperate trouble when we get home. If it were going to be like that, we'd stay at Rusk longer. Some things I can anticipate, are

  • More bars: I have some in my trunk and I've started finding the studs in the house, so I have ideas about where they will go, but I expect to do some of that when we get home.

  • Back step: I'll need to make a back step about 6" tall, although the exact height isn't critical. I expect to use 2x6's with a thick plywood top. It should be about 8" deeper than Linda's walker (which I haven't measured) and probably a bit wider than the door. If you have a truck and are handy I might be calling you.

  • People to visit: Linda doesn't need lots of support, but she needs someone to spot her for transfers, and help getting drinks, etc. We won't need it all of the time, but sometimes so I can be gone, and I think we'll know better as time goes on.


I sort of expect it to work out just like a new kid. You get a lot of 0-3 month clothes and after three months, you don't have a lot. A few people anticipate that for you, so your kid doesn't have to go naked while you buy more clothes. I expect a lot of care and attention right away, and after a while there will probably be just a few. Maybe I'm wrong, we'll have to see.

Sorry I can't be more specific.