Jump to main column content

Saturday, May 22, 2004

Back to Columbia soon



Before we head back, I have a few more notes to jot down, so I figure why not jot them down for the whole world to see? We definitely learned a few things today. One thing I did not expect is that Linda prefers to use the back bathroom. It is so small as to be a closet, so I just figured it would be a no-go. But since it is so small, she has less walking to get in and out. I guess it'll have to get a grab bar or two.

I also realize we'll need a bar next to the back door. Since it's obvious we'll go in and out that way, and she needs to walk there, it will be best if there is something sturdy to hang on to.

Alas, this house has the weirdest configuration of studs inside the walls. Some appear to be 18" on center (standard I believe). In other places it is 14" and in others it is 12". Oh well, we'll work it out.

We also need a way for Linda to call from one end of the house to the other. Her voice doesn't carry over the sound of an air conditioner. I think I have it covered though. I bought a couple of x10 devices (which you can get at x10.com--although I have to warn you, they have the most annoying ads on the internet). I will probably put a remote controlled lamp in each room and give her the remote. She can flip the lights if I don't hear her. For today, I told her to turn the TV on and raise the volume (which she just did--works fine).

That's pretty much it I think. We know what we need to practice: 1) more transfers on carpet, 2) walking sideways and backwards in the walker, 3) way more walking on carpet, and 4) more up and down steps. I don't know if she should do a bit more without her air casts (ankle support); we didn't use them at home.

We also probably need to build an extra step at the back door. She was too tired to step up when we came back from lunch this afternoon. We may also need to move a few small tables so it is easier to get around, but most of the major stuff seems OK. There's probably more (which I'm sure we'll discover soon enough when we come home to stay), but I think those are the big things.