Jump to main column content

Friday, May 21, 2004

Friday morning quicky



We spent our OT session this morning working out things that Linda will need to be as independent as possible. I hurt my back again and can't do transfers right now, so I'm particularly interested in how she can transfer without me lifting her. I'm taking the day off from transferring so we can go to Kirksville tomorrow and see what we'll need at home. You can try to plan, but until you go see it, you can't really know. I expect a lot of next week to be focusing on those kinds of issues. In PT too.

Yesterday we went to the mid-Missouri American Stroke Assoc. picnic in Columbia. It was a relatively small gathering, but it had interesting moments. It was interesting to see the disagreements among the survivors about what to expect. One woman was saying you'll keep seeing improvement indefinitely. But another man there said that he didn't see improvement any more, although his stroke was 14 years ago.

Last night, Linda transferred on her own between the bed and the wheelchair. It made our nurse cry. She also went to the bathroom entirely on her own (and yes she told me to report that). It took 45 minutes--10 minutes to get her jeans down and 30 minutes to get her jeans up (they were tight). She's going to have to wear something other than jeans at home.