Jump to main column content

Thursday, May 13, 2004

Thursday



I was in Kirksville today for a meeting (and, alas, some grading). Apparently, Ellie and Marilyn awoke with an early storm this morning. So they came to see Linda. Linda tells me that Ellie was good.

I forgot to check the "board" to see if Linda's going-home date has changed. The doctor has been softening Linda up in case there should be another change, but I would guess that they will wait until next week if they do. I'll let you know if there is a change.

There's always a bit of "catching up" when I get back to Columbia. Today it started off pretty cute. I asked Linda what she did today and one of the first things she told me was, "I made Fred curse today." I gave her a questioning look, so she went on, "It was a good thing." They used the standing frame today. Fred always brings the wheelchair over and says, "Stand up." So today she put her arms on the arm rests and did just that. Definitely a moment worth a little happy swearing.

She did dressing this morning for OT. Later in the day she put together a puzzle and did some dowel work on the mat. She is still working on getting enough strength to do it sitting up so she can join the dowel group.

One new thing on her schedule for the first time today was circuit group which is just a group for doing the various weight-lifting machines in the gym. The patients rotate through the machines and do each one, and a bit of free weight work is mixed in. Some of the weights were really hard yet, and she had a hard time controlling some of the free weights like the dumbbells. But I get the impression that she felt generally positive about it.