Jump to main column content

Sunday, May 09, 2004

A triumph of free software

On Friday night I installed Linux on the broken Windows PC in the gym. It had been broken for weeks and had gotten to the point that it wouldn't even boot. It runs great now. It didn't take people long to perceive that it was up again, and I notice they are already browsing the web and checking their email on it.

All in all, I'd call it one small success for free software.

In case you don't know, free software is my philanthropy. Just to be sure we're on the same page, if you think free software is about programs that don't cost anything, or about the deliberate copyright infringement of software, then you don't really know what it is. Free software is about freedom.

I make it a point to only use free software when I can. And the software that I write is always free software.

Ask me about it in person, and I'll probably tell you more than you ever wished to know. But try not to ask me in front of Linda. She's heard it all before.