Jump to main column content

Thursday, May 06, 2004

Thursday

Today was the first time I dreaded driving back to Rusk. Thursdays are case conference days, and that means they talk about going-home dates. That usually means a fight between me and Linda. Thankfully, I was wrong this time.

We haven't been told yet, but I noticed that Linda's going home date on the board was changed to June 2; another two weeks apparently. Linda suspected that she was going to be extended after talking to the doctor this morning, and it appears she was right. It's the right thing to do; Linda is still improving well and she doesn't really have the skills she should have for going home yet.

I'm glad of course (except for having to sleep on that cot two weeks longer), as will be her friends. She seems to be a bit disappointed but not overly much. I notice that she readjusts to the new dates very quickly. As usual, she assures me that this is the last extension, just like the previous one and the one before that. I know better than to disagree with her now. We'll just work hard and see what happens.

She had a good day of therapy. She worked on exercises with a short baton to see if she would be ready for "dowel group." She wasn't quite strong enough for that yet, at least not sitting, but she was pretty successful while lying on the mat. Her OT was pleased.

She tells me that she did some more walking with her walker today and it sounds like that went pretty well also. So I think she had a pretty good day.


One other note: Linda has adjusted to the prism on her glasses. Actually she did some time ago and I forgot to mention it. She started out wearing it for an hour or two in the mornings. She also wore it for going out, because people stared a lot at her patch. After about 5 days, her eyes were tracking together quickly and she found the prism as good as or better than the patch. She reports that the double images without the prism are getting closer together, but she still prefers to have the prism for now.

I'll have to get a few new pictures since she looks more like her old self than ever now.