Jump to main column content

Thursday, June 03, 2004

A busy day running around



I sort of wore Linda out today running errands. We stopped at the university, the bank, and Hy Vee before going to therapy this afternoon.

We had speech first again today. Unfortunately, the topic was whistles. Blowing a whistle turns out to be a pretty good exercise for someone with Linda's speech problems. But what the therapist didn't know is Linda really doesn't like whistles. Add a bit of lability to this equation, and what you get is 30 minutes of crying during a speech session. Speech always has been the hardest thing for Linda.

David (the OT) worked on strength with Linda. He added a sitting up dowel exercise to the other ones she was doing, sort of a bench press straight out in front of you. The idea is to work the shoulders. He also did some "wringing" exercises and gripping exercises with her.

In PT, Linda worked did some walking. She tried a walker without wheels for the first time and said it's harder than a wheel walker (but she did a good job). She did a bit of walking in the parallel bars, and also a bit of walking with just the therapist in front of her. Linda did one new thing during the session, some trampoline work. She stepped up onto a trampoline and the did weight shifting and bouncing and things like that. They finished the session sitting on a ball and rocking her hips in different ways.

After dinner tonight (yes, I cooked again) we went to the theater to see Troy. We both had wanted to see it, but more importantly, we wanted to practice the theater to be ready for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban next week. Luckily Linda likes to sit in the back of the theater, since that is where the space for wheelchairs is. Neither of us cared overly much for Troy although we didn't hate it either. Since the film is pretty scratched we got "buy one get one free" coupons with our tickets. That actually pretty well expresses what I thought of the movie too.

When we got home, Kate (feline) had pooped on the bed again. My side. Why is it always my side? I didn't realize before I let her out, or I might have introduced her to the blunt end of a broom handle and added a bloodstain to go with it. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, cats are pretty fast and there's no guarantee I'd actually be able to wallop her adequately if I tried.

Unfortunately, when I opened the window to air out the bedroom I discovered that the neighbors are burning garbage and the delicate odor of burning plasting wafted in. That so sucks because now my allergies are going to bother me all night. I have tried to hint to Linda (and I'm not particularly subtle) that people can't burn their garbage around you when you live in town.