Jump to main column content

Friday, May 28, 2004

We're home!


I know a lot of you have been checking all day. What can I say? Coming home is hectic business. We were up at 6:30am and had breakfast around 8:00am. We had some discharge paperwork (which Linda signed herself). At 10:30 they called the Code Derek over the loudspeaker and Linda came down to walk.

The hallway out of Rusk is the only carpeted hallway in the building. I set her walker at the edge where the carpet begins. I placed her new wheelchair at the other end of the carpet. She came down in her old loaner chair. I told Fred I wanted that chair left behind her empty (sort of symbolic).

Fred brought her down. I cut the ID bracelets off her left arm and we walked down between two walls of clapping people. She stopped at her new chair and several of the people who knew her the best came up to wish her well and give her hugs. Then we proceeded to the car and left for home.

Starting off:


Hugging Tori (speech therapist):


Hugging Fred (physical therapist):


Out the door:



And so it begins...