Jump to main column content

Monday, November 20, 2006

Shopping


Linda and I went shopping last week. She needed new jeans, and the JC Penny in town doesn't carry the kind she likes any more. So we made a trip to Columbia and went to the mall.

I've been reading lots of great things about JC Penny lately in the stock-market press. But personally, I don't see why they think this is such a great retailer. Their stores just don't seem that nice. All of the merchandise is arranged too close together so it is hard to get around the store, especially with a wheelchair. We had to ask to find a handicap accessible changing room, and then it didn't even have a grab bar.

I don't think it should take a PhD to realize that if you have a wheel chair, you might want a bar to hold on to for changing clothes. As it is, I had to help Linda. Lame lame lame.

I already thought JC Penny was lame. I once saw a curtain rod that I liked in Columbia, but it was too long to put in the car and haul home. So I tried to buy it at the Penny's here. Nope, they don't carry it. I'm thinking, no problem. I'll order it from the catalog. No can do. The catalog carries different merchandise than the stores.

Now maybe, I've been using the internet too long because I think that ought to be in capital letters. WHAT KIND OF COMPANY CARRIES MERCHANDISE IN THEIR BRICK-AND-MORTAR STORES THAT YOU CAN'T BUY ONLINE FROM THEIR CATALOG?

My prayer/curse for JC Penny. May the internet kill you swiftly and painlessly.