Jump to main column content

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The long walk to work


Linda walked to my office on Sunday night (new office with a window). That means that we parked in the very closest handicap spot, walked in and up the steps to 2nd floor and over to my office. She almost started to cry about 20 ft from the door when it was about 8 feet farther than she expected. We came mostly to practice, but I needed to change a cable on one of the computers, so I did it while we were there.

When I told her I was going to do a computer repair, she lamented that they always take a long time. I responded that I would be finished long before she was done resting, and I was right. In fact, she said she couldn't do the walk back to the car. So I rolled her back to the elevator on my office chair and she only had to walk about one quarter of the return distance.

She was tired all day Monday and today still. Obviously that was a little bit too far to go.

In therapy news, Ellie attended on Monday. Day care was closed. Linda practiced trying to pick up Ellie three or four times. She was only partly successful, although Ellie helped by putting her arms around Linda's neck. Linda was disappointed by how hard it was, but I'm more optimistic. I think with a little practice she will get it. There are a lot of pretty big muscle groups involved with lifting, and I bet they'll respond pretty quickly.

Our homework is to try it at home. That'll mean getting Ellie and me (to spot for falls) and Linda all ready to go at the same time. But I think we'll manage to work it in.