Jump to main column content

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Hello


I don't always have much of a title. I just write my little entries because I know people read them.

Whew! Five days of swimming lessons done. Today we had a day off, so we... we... Well, we went to the pool. I know it's insane, but we went to the wading pool. Ellie had a great time. Linda came, and we met a friend and her children. Ellie was really good about playing on her own, although she and I took a little time to practice swimming lesson stuff (her idea).

Linda has a new ebook reader, which she brought but didn't read. New isn't quite accurate actually; it's a refurbished Linux-powered PDA. I was able to get it pretty inexpensively (because people don't really want Linux on their palm-tops maybe) and it had a good resolution screen. That's what makes it a good candidate for reading. I loaded all of her Zorro stories onto it so she could see how it works, and she likes it.

I have to say, Linux on a palm-top is about as bad as Windows on a palm-top, but it won't matter to Linda, since she will probably only use it for reading stories anyway. The king of PDA usability is definitely Palm-OS (but they cost twice as much). Still, there were some neat things about having it run Linux. I'll probably demo it for the Free Software Club this fall.

Don is 35 today.