Jump to main column content

Monday, May 16, 2005

I found it


Ellie is staying with her grandparents this week. That means that I could take my time when I went to the store this evening. You've probably not seen me on a shopping mission, but I generally like to shop. So I'm slow. I scanned through the shaving isle tonight, carefully. I turned the cans and read the ingredients. And then I found it. Fragrance-free shaving gel. And not just one kind, but two. Gillette makes it and so does Aveeno.

I couldn't find fragrance-free hair gel, but I did what I could there. I smelled the likeliest candidates, and the one that didn't make my nose wrinkle after a few minutes is the one I got for Linda. We'll see (I think I'll like not having her hair wrinkle up my nose).

I already nailed the hand lotion earlier in the week. Curel makes some without fragrance. I think I'll look at hand soaps next. I know already that the vanilla from Bath & Body Works is to be avoided, but I've noticed some others seem OK.

Linda is enjoying her last week of freedom before she goes back to therapy next week. She's making the most of it. She cooked meatloaf and cornbread muffins for supper tonight. She looked absolutely pooped when I got home, and I have some cleaning to do in the kitchen, but it went pretty well. She mentioned that the oven is hard to negotiate from the wheelchair.

Linda has been frustrated with her walking. The tone in her right foot keeps turning the heel out, particularly with her 4-point cane. It was something that started during a PT session when she was working on ankle strength, but it hasn't gone away. It is generally only very bad with her 4-point cane, so she has started taking out her 2 single-point canes to go out again.

We saw Fred on Friday, and he said that's sometimes how tone will be and admitted that it is frustrating. We had gone to Columbia to see Lyndsay's new baby and we had a very nice visit with them. Naturally we stopped at Rusk to visit. Linda's ankle was trouble, so she just sat in the lobby, but her old therapists found a few minutes to run down and visit with her.