Jump to main column content

Monday, May 30, 2005

Day at the pool


Circumstances guided us to the wading pool at Brashear park today. It didn't start that way. Ellie announced this morning, I want to go to somebody's house today. That's three-year-old speak for My parents are boring, and I want to go somewhere with kids who'll entertain me.

So we went over to Jen's. She was working this morning on some medical editing project, so I brought over a collection of signal analysis books (my summer project is to write speech therapy software). Ellie played with the kids and I learned about windowing functions. I discovered that whoever ordered all of the signal processing books for Truman made good selections, because those books are generally superior to the books I have obtained via interlibrary loan.

We decided to pick up some lunch and eat it at Brashear park. I went home and dragged Linda along, and we stopped for drive-through on the way to the park. Ellie was desperate to swim, which I should have anticipated, so Jen took her clothes off down to her pull-up and Ellie waded in. The KTVO-TV3 people were filming, so there might be footage of my mostly-naked kid on the news tonight.

We played for many hours. Ellie was so cold she couldn't stop shaking. I still had to literally pick her up and haul her away when it was time to leave. I thought for certain that she would fall asleep as soon as she got warm, but she's still going strong.

I, on the other hand, am beat.