Jump to main column content

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Allergy update


I know a few of you have been following my effort to remove fragrances since I found out that I'm allergic to our old shampoo. I commented a few days ago that I found to fragrance-free shaving creams at the store.

As I said, I bought the kind made by Gillette, and I couldn't resist trying it the next day. I expected it to smell slightly chemical without masking fragrance. It didn't. It had a pleasant smell, something I couldn't quite identify. It smelled fruity. That made me frown. When I read the back of the can, I discovered that it contained orange oil, lemon peel oil, and lime oil. That seems a pretty cheap way to proclaim fragrance-freeness. Luckily, they don't seem to bother me or I would be even more put out.

I didn't think it would come in, but Maxine's was able to get me a fragrance-free bottle of Kiss My Face brand shaving moisturizer. I tried it right away. You can imagine that I was really looking for smells after the Gillette experience. For just a moment, I thought there was a hint of cocoa butter, reminiscent of sun tan lotion. Then it was gone; it really did seem pretty much devoid of smell.

Since I don't seem to be allergic to any of them, I'll continue to use them up. It will be some time before I run out, but I promise to try the Aveeno brand next when I do.

So far this season, I've had pretty moderate allergies. When birch and maple were pollenating, I didn't want to stay outside overly long. Right now the big pollinators are supposed to be mulberry, grass, and oak. That seems to be a bit better for me.