Jump to main column content

Thursday, November 11, 2004

In need of a holiday


Like my students, and like the famous Bilbo, "I need a holiday." It wasn't until recently, that I realized I've been working for a long, long time. Luckily, Linda is getting stronger and more self-sufficient all of the time, so Thanksgiving and eventually Christmas will probably be like holidays.

What I really want is enough time to get bored from nothing to do. Then I want a really nice computer project to work on. I know I'm such a geek, but programming is what I do for fun.

Caller number 1


Someone keeps calling me. It is clear that they want to talk to me, but they never leave a message. I play my answering machine, and it's always, "Mr. Bindner. .... Mr. Bindner .... Mr. Bindner ...." Unfortunately it always seems to happen when I am not around. Linda pretty much never answers the phone, so my mystery caller is having some rotten luck. They probably think I am avoiding them.

I wonder about it though. If they were honest and really wanted to get a hold of me, you would think they would leave a message. Telemarketers don't even bother talking to answering machines, and the political parties just leave recorded messages. The woman sounds too old for me, so I doubt she's looking for a date.

My most far-out theory: She's a proprietary-software terrorist. There's a bomb in my house, and she is waiting for me to pick up the phone in person (verify that I'm there) before she detonates. Ok, so probably not. If it doesn't resolve itself, maybe I'll post a recording. Since everyone knows everyone, someone will probably know who she is.

In any event, it is very suspicious. It makes me wonder whether I want to talk to her.