Jump to main column content

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

Tuesday

I came to Kirksville today for class. They got a test, which I'm sure thrilled them. I don't think it was too hard, so maybe it really did.

My back is feeling better today. Taking yesterday off from lifting was very helpful. Getting back to my office helped too. Just going through my old patterns; sitting at my desk, walking to the mail room, etc. I just got more relaxed. Which is not to say I am perfect, but I'm definitely getting better.

I forgot to mention that on Sunday evening I let Linda use a straw. It was somewhat "against the rules" since she isn't really cleared to use a straw with thin liquids, except for small experiments with the speech therapist. I told Linda that the rules didn't apply at Pizza Hut, but that if she coughed I was going to take her straw away from her. Tori is always saying', "Be careful!" She did great. She said she didn't even have to think about it, it just worked.

Her speech keeps getting better. Yesterday she started making good S sounds. Tonight when I got back, she told me about her day without the spelling board. I still had to have her spell some hard words orally. She reported that she fed herself today, about half of one of her meals and without anyone supporting her elbow. That is very good.

She also told me that she did her first sliding transfer. I didn't see it, but I gather that she was able to use her arms and legs to slide from the mat to the wheelchair (or vice versa) pretty much on her own. I'm pretty surprised, and she reported that Fred was also very pleased (and I think that pleased her in turn).

Linda's back still hurts today. Apparently the doctors never got word of it. I didn't see them, since I left early. I told the nurse, who said she would leave a note for them. Unfortunately if I'm not around to tell the doctors things, they have a tendency not to find out, and they don't really take the time to ask Linda things that don't have easy yes/no answers (they forgot to ask her today if she was having pain unfortunately). It takes too long to figure out what she is saying.