Jump to main column content

Monday, April 12, 2004

Monday

Last night we went to Pizza Hut. We had a good time. The biggest event of the evening was going to the bathroom. The door of the bathroom is too small for a wheelchair, so I had to carry Linda in. There's one restaurant in town we won't be going back to. It wasn't really a big deal, and we laughed a good bit, but when you can choose, you choose places that accomodate you.


There were two big events today, one for me and one for Linda. For me, at 5am this morning I hurt my backing helping Linda into bed from her wheelchair. The transfer wasn't particularly difficult, but when we finished all of the muscles around my sacrum just sort of squeezed tight and stayed that way. I've been trying to take care not to hurt myself, doing a bit of stretching and making sure to use good form for transfers. It got me anyway. It was possibly the most painful my back has ever been. I felt elderly, not able to sit down or get up once sitting. The absolute hardest was getting in and out of the car.

So I took the day off from transfers and had the staff do all of them today. I've just treated myself gingerly, stretching some and trying to gently move and limber up. And ibuprofin. Tonight I seem to be getting better, and I hope that the worst has passed.


Linda's big thing today was using the computer in OT. They have a Windows computer in the gym for people to work on mousing and keyboard skills, find apartments (for going home), etc. Naturally, it has viruses at the moment and is broken. So I brought my Linux laptop down and we plugged it into the network port. I saved the first thing Linda has typed since February:

lk


lliinxcdda xzsays di
hik. ellie is ere here. sorryaboou thre mistafkeds. but thid iethe firfst timr
ei've typed. i havee nothing to sayyy. lidsa ysau s hi too...... iliiiiiiikkkkkkkke theeee boooooooooooooooootherrrrrrrrrrrrr llllllllllllehhhhhhhhh ilike theeeeee ogtttttthhhhhhhhff fffffffffff v


i like the other keybiard bedddddtter. ilike the exercise.

wr emeber the finger stuff. walking \]][ and eating,. walkingg c


You can see that she started with her name (Linda says hi). We told her not to worry too much about mistakes, and to type anything she wanted. We also tried two keyboards, the laptop and a regular keyboard. The repeat was more of a problem with the regular keyboard, which has more "travel" in the keys, and eventually I turned repeat off altogether. That helped a lot. Some of the last things are responses to questions. She likes the exercise of trying to reach the [Backspace] key on the top line, she prefers the laptop keyboard, her hardest exercise was a finger exercise in OT, and her most memorable moments have been walking and eating.