Jump to main column content

Thursday, February 19, 2004

From Don

Small update: Linda seems to be producing some tears now when she cries. I guess you can look on that as another improvement.

Hey everyone,

We've had a pretty good day today. Linda's physical and occupational therapists at Boone came early so they could work with her before she left on the ambulance. She got to work with her speech therapist as well.

Her feeding has been going well, and her IV was removed about 9:15am. They hadn't reconnected her food yet at Rusk (it was stopped for the trip over), but they were working on getting orders written for that.

Rusk began a bit repetitively. A registered nurse came in and examined her, then a physician examined her (and it was much the same routine). They asked a lot of family history questions which Linda answered and which I corrected if she made a mistake or elaborated on if necessary. Sometimes it was just a matter of reading an eye signal wrong.

The most interesting part was the examination my Dr. Ruperight. You know she can look around, and you know she can raise her eyebrows as well as turn her head slightly. He was very pleased that she had never needed a ventilator. He also discovered that she can move her left foot, and she can press down with her left leg. She also seems to be able to make some voluntary movement in her left forearm, but it was very subtle.

He said she may be able to make movements on the right as well that are just masked by involuntary muscle tightening (tone). He is starting her on a drug to help reduce the tone, and maybe we'll find out soon.

She seems to have good sensation on both sides of her body and can differentiate between different kinds of touches (i.e. touching and tapping).

All in all, he was impressed. She is starting off very well.

Otherwise, today is something of a waiting day. I'm doing some laundry before I go back later. She won't start her therapies until tomorrow. I'll be staying with Linda tonight. I know I won't sleep well, but she asked if I would, and it's hard for me not to do what she asks when I can. One family member may sleep over in her room. I'm actually a bit surprised at that since she shares the room with another woman who also came in today.