Jump to main column content

Thursday, February 19, 2004

Hi everyone. My name is Mel Gibbard, and I'm a student of Linda's. As I mentioned to Jen, I refuse to use past tense, and I hope that doesn't throw anyone off. I was shy about asking to post, but I thought maybe it would be helpful to hear from another voice that knew Linda in a different way than some of you.

I work in the Language and Literature Division Office, so I have the privilege of interacting with a lot of our faculty on a daily basis. It's one of my favorite parts of the job, and it's helpful to know so many faces, as a large chunk of my working time is devoted to scheduling visit appointments.

I can just hear the groan rise up from you faculty reading this. It's true, I'm the voice on the other end of the phone, stalking you, lurking around your every office hour, trying to stick you with a prospective student. There are times when I dislike that responisibility, but it's one that Linda makes so pleasant.

She has actually come down to the office to offer her services in advance, and let me know that she loves meeting with incoming freshmen. I know that for professors who are busy with their own research, writings, and seminars (not to mention classes) these appointments can be a burden. That's why it's so refreshing to work with Linda--she genuinely wants to get to know possible students because she genuinely cares about their college decision, not to mention her loyalty to Truman.

Even with Ellie consuming so much of her energy (in a good way), and all of her massive projects, Linda still manages to care about the details, and I really really admire that. Before I even met her, I was hearing stories from other student workers about how excited and bubbly Linda is. When I did meet her, I guess I expected it to seem forced, or over the top.

Maybe that's the best part about Linda--she's real. She doesn't have to force herself to care about her career, and she doesn't have to force herself to be cordial to people, she's just a ray of sunshine in and of herself. I haven't known her for long, but she means a lot to me, as I know she does to all of you.

Thanks, Jen, for letting me post here. If nothing else, it helps me feel better about things, and it reminds me that miracles come in all shapes and sizes, so all I can do is pray for the best.

Take care,
Mel