Jump to main column content

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The crush at the end


With 5th week grades due this semester instead of midterms, there was a crush at the beginning of term. There's always a crush at the end, and this semester is no different. Linda is already complaining that she doesn't get to see me. She's wanting to do games and things in the evening and I have grading. It happens other times of the semester, but it will be pretty consistent from here to Christmas. I suppose it makes it harder when you can't get out on your own.

Speaking of getting out. I took Linda to the driver's license office yesterday to renew her state-issued ID. The birth certificate she had wasn't good enough for them, so we've had to send off to get an official one. What I don't get is that it'll just be printed off on some computer and stamped with some raised stamp. Seems not that hard to fake, so I don't know exactly what the point would be. I'm pretty sure I could fool the lady at the desk.

Linda and I talked about how plenty of people who don't drive don't actually have current photo identification since it can be a hassle like this. Still if the United States is going to become one of those countries where you have to have your "papers" I suppose we'd better hassle. If you apply for your birth certificate by mail it only costs $10 and 6 weeks. You can apply online, and they promise not to sit on their hands for so long but they rook you for an extra $24.50 in processing fees and shipping. What a racket! Mail and pathetically slow will be just fine thank you.

It makes me glad I have a passport so this will be simpler when I have to renew.