Jump to main column content

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Magical week


We went to Harry Potter this week. This was a kind of big deal for us. Linda and I used to be pretty regular movie-goers, but we don't go so often now. It's just more of a pain. It's kind of expensive. And people are always sitting in the handicap seating. Yes, we could ask them to move, but it's easier just staying home.

But we went, Linda and Ellie and me. It was fun. It had what I liked about book 5 without all the angst. I have to say the angst really got to me with that book, although perhaps a bit less the second time I read it.

We're very excited that the 7th book comes out this weekend. Actually, only Linda and I are excited. Ellie isn't much into novels yet. I offered to read the 1st book to her, but she just isn't interested. I suppose it will happen soon enough though.

On the road


We went to visit my parents this weekend. We encountered our second worst bathroom ever, at a Kentucky Fried Chicken. The most insulting part of it was that there was a blue wheelchair sticker on it. The worst bathroom ever was in a Pizza Hut. It's no surprise perhaps that both stores are owned by Yum! Brands. If this were still a time of duels I'd spit in the board members faces and slap them with a glove. Actually, I've always thought duels were about as stupid as stupid gets, so maybe I'd just spit on them.

Go McDonalds!

$100 goes pretty far


Ellie had perfect attendance at summer school this year, and there is a $100 attendance prize. It comes in the form of a pre-paid Visa. Ellie wanted to buy a scooter, so we got one like this: www.toysrus.com/sm-barbie-aluminum-foldable-scooter--pi-2317763.html

It was so cute. We swiped her card, and I made her sign on the little electronic pad (the card is in her name after all). She felt so grown up. She was almost as excited to get her own receipt as she was to get the scooter.

She's been scooting around the house in our "big room." Yesterday we went to the school and scooted around the parking lot. She was hoping to go scooting at a kids house today, but we couldn't really find any kids who were home tonight. She's pretty tired anyway (hence a big fit commenced) so I'm thinking it is pretty good we stayed home tonight. We'll get some good scooter time in this weekend I'm sure.