Jump to main column content

Monday, December 20, 2004

Chatting with the collectors


I knew the collectors wouldn't be happy to hear that I had their check returned. In fact, I tried to call on Friday to see if they have an I-believe-you-acted-illegally-and-I'm-writing-to-inform-you address. Unfortunately, when I called, they had closed for the day. I suppose I should have left a message, but I didn't.

They called today. It is no fun being in that conversation, let me tell you. At one point, I found myself asking the representative, "Why are you so angry?" She ended the conversation shortly after that and transferred me to a "manager." Naturally, he wasn't there, so left a message, and I suppose I can expect to hear back.

In the meantime, I have reviewed my telephone conversations with them and made up a transcript. That is tedious work, but I thought it a good idea. It was enlightening as well. For example, I was surprised by how the transcript doesn't show the intensity of the conversation the way I felt it when it happened. It was also interesting that there were things that I thought I had said, that I hadn't. I don't know if I was interrupted when or if it was from another conversation I haven't found yet.

The most important thing I found was that the conversations are completely full of misunderstandings. The information about the account she had in front of her did not get expressed to me, and she doesn't have the information I got when Linda's equipment was delivered. So half the time, I'm saying one thing and she's hearing another. After a careful review of my tapes this afternoon, I finally figured out what she was talking about, and she only said it once. Sometimes she said it was "one file" and other times it was "three" something.

So, maybe I should amend my collection agency advice. Not only should you review the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you should ask for an itemized accounting of the bill in writing before you agree to any action. Trying to act in good faith has just made this even harder to sort out. Tell them up front that you dispute the bill, that you don't consider telephone notice appropriate and that they must contact you in writing.

Verify that they have your address correct and get their correspondence address. Notify them in writing of the same things you said on the phone. And make sure you read the law so you can use the right language.