Jump to main column content

Sunday, March 28, 2004

Feeling bad about getting around

Today we went to our first residence. I took Linda over to Wayne and Kathryn's to see where I was staying when I wasn't with her. There's a bit of a step going in which was a challenge, but we managed. I learned a few things there. First it's easier to push a wheelchair on tile than carpet. Second, it's tough to turn corners in a hallway. And finally (or really first), steps are a pain. It made me realize that our own house is even worse. There are more, taller steps; and our hallway is very, very narrow.

We went from there to the Panera Bread Store near by to get coffee. The coffee wasn't too great, but the bread was pretty good. Linda had some, and it went pretty well, so I suppose I'll be bring some back from Java Co. She likes their bread a lot. She seemed down, so I asked her what was wrong. The inaccessability of the house bothered her. She spelled I NEVER FELT HANDICAPPED BEFORE. That just goes to show how profoundly important the laws about handicap accessibility really are.

Linda is doing well physically. I think she'll be pushing her wheelchair (in a successful way) soon. She spent a good bit of time practicing again today.

Ellie was here. She has taken to sitting in Linda's lap when she visits. They both really like that. When Linda is working on something, Ellie will take her hands and help place them where they belong. She has obviously been watching someone do it, because she always stretches the fingers open the way the therapists do. I can't believe what kids pick up on.