Jump to main column content

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Kathryn Brammall just called me from the hospital-- I thank Don for using me as his mouthpiece because today I get to give you a little good news. At least it lifted a great many worries from me.

Linda has been moved to a private room, #4018, which means she can have more visitors at once, and she can see out the window. I asked whether we could fill the room with flowers, but Kathryn stopped me: There is something better we can do with our money. I know everyone wants to do something. Let's bring her home.

Don and the hospital social worker are looking into hospice (they have to also ask Linda, but believe this will be what she wants) and what the insurance will cover. I ran into Ann Blesz, who is either president of the hospice board or close to it, and she said they can bring her home. They will transport her via ambulance and provide her with a hospital bed. Just today at lunch, Christine and I were saying that if it came down to finances, we would raise funds to make it happen. I would so love to be able to call Don and say, "Don, you bring her home."

IF Linda agrees and it is possible, arrangements can be made within 24 hours.

Of course, Don will be with her the entire time. However, he will need someone to be with him at all times. Don asked Kathryn to call me about this, so I would like to take this weekend, as long as I can. I am sure that others would like to volunteer, and certainly it doesn't mean that ONLY two people can be there. We just need to make sure at least two are. Therefore, I am appointing myself the contact person for this so that if/when I hear word that she is coming home, I can present Don with a list of volunteers.

Therefore, I am asking you please to respond to this email with commitments of either your generous time or financial donations. I will not say no to offers of both. Please do not even think you need to tell me how much you can contribute-- email it to Don at the hospital, or call him. Or just express your willingness to give. This is worth more than any other financial contribution you can make this year, if I may be so bold. Don and Linda would probably be horrified at my boldness-- I, however, am not. What a chance! What a chance to do something that would bring a little bit of comfort to such a horrifying situation.

Thank you all so much for your love and support. I spoke with Don for an hour last night, and it was one of the most moving, important conversations of my life. They can feel the love. You are an amazing amazing group of people and it is my privilege to know you all.

Love,

Jen

FUNDRAISER

Sorry-- it's me again.

Christine and I would love to organize a fundraiser to assist with all of this-- she is going to make some inquiries today, but right now we are thinking about having bands play at the journal building (or somewhere) on Friday February 20 to raise money to assist with hospice. RedWing, Deadwood, John Rutter, Becky B-- can you ask Mark about his bands?

If you have any other suggestions, or are interested in participating (attending) this function, please let me know. It would be such a nice way to let Linda's students know that is happening--both current and past students-- and for everyone to get together and do something.

Thank you,

Jen